My name is Haley Ruegemer and I am a senior at Wayzata High School. Last year while signing up for classes I came across a class that I had never heard anyone talk about, it was called Internship/Mentorship Experience. I decided to take my chances and sign up for this semester long class that ended up being one of the most rewarding classes of my high school career.
The first term of the class we learned about how to present ourselves in the business world, we also focused on ways to start networking. The second term we were to find an internship at a business in the surrounding community, that’s where Fun2Raise comes along.
On my very first day at Fun2Raise I knew that these next three months were genuinely going to be fun! Everyone was so welcoming and interested in what I was doing and how they could help me, which made me feel right at home.
Through this internship I have learned a lot more than I ever thought was possible. Instead of hearing about a general description of a job, I got to actually see, and work beside professionals that are working in jobs that I am considering for my future. I learned a lot of what it takes on a day to day basis to be successful at these jobs and it definitely has helped me figure out a little more about what job I am interested in for the future.
Some of the most rewarding parts of my internship include the following:
- Sitting in on client meetings (school representatives and local businesses) and hearing about how they plan out projects, their objectives, and ways that they can maximize the money that goes directly to schools.
- Learning more about marketing and what businesses look for specifically when they are planning out their advertising expenses.
- Being able to tag along with the sales people as they meet with clients and being able to be part of different sales of advertising spaces.
- Proofing advertisements and being able to see how many different steps go into making a final product.
- Being able to talk to all the staff members about their career paths and being able to learn from their experiences.
This has been such a rewarding experience and it was all made possible because of how open the Fun2Raise staff was to explaining to me what they were doing and helping me as I completed tasks around the office. They would go out of their way to create tasks for me to do and to make sure I understood what they were talking about when they started using business terms I had not learned yet!
I would definitely recommend Fun2Raise to ANY business, school, or student who is interested in getting their businesses name known within the schools, learning about new ways to raise money for schools, or someone who is hoping to learn from a group of people who have had much success at what they do.
I am always amazed at what they are able to create and how many different schools they have helped. It was also great to see how Fun2Raise has impacted my school in the past and to actually be part of creating ways to help them in the future!
~ Haley Ruegemer, WHS/Fun2Raise Intern